Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kat's Super Bowl Food




I don't know the first thing about football, in fact as far as I'm aware they play with a spherical ball, right? Ok, actually I'm equally clueless about soccer. However, I always get a little pulse race as the Super Bowl nears. Why? The food of course! I love an excuse to research what is traditionally eaten, try out new recipes or roll out old favorites.

So, in honor of traditional game day food, I'm going to post a series of my favorites this week.

Guacamole
Hot Crab Dip
Sundried Tomato and Artichoke Spread
Jamie Oliver's Chili
 
First is my guacamole; I'm sure everyone has made guacamole, but it's one of my signature recipes. Anyone who has ever hung out with us for any length of time will have had a bowl of it placed before them.
My youngest adores it and just last week, after 4 years of exposure and refusal, my 4-year old declared it "deeelishuusss".

For me it's all about the texture. I do not like smooth guacamole; it should have a few lumps in it, but the avocados should be sufficiently ripe to give easily when pressed gently. I buy the bags of avocados from Trader Joe's, let them ripen in the fruit bowl, then move to the fridge to keep for a few days until I use them all.

Also, you've got to taste and change it as needed. Sometimes, I have an extra juicy lime, a very strong onion or a bland pepper, so add more or less to suit your palate.

Kat's Guac

Ingredients
 
2 avocados
1 lime
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
1/4 medium onion, chopped finely
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Halve the avocados, take out stone, slice and chop the flesh whilst still in the avocado skin, then scoop out the chopped flesh with a dessert spoon.
  2. Mash the flesh gently with a potato masher.
  3. Halve the lime and squeeze the juice over the avocado, add the onion and pepper.
  4. Stir everything together until it is 50% smooth, 50% small lumps.
  5. Taste and then add salt and pepper as needed.
  6. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
A great one to get the kids involved in making.
Watch this space for the rest of my Super Bowl series this week.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmmmm, went down a treat in this house tonight with children and adults a like! Embarrassed that I don't think I've made guacamole before and this was so easy and so tasty, another winner!

    ReplyDelete