Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Pork Extravaganza Part 2 : Healthy Fried Rice and Pork Tacos




It's all about the selling pitch, I find; I'm talking about whether my kids will eat what is prepared for them or push the plate away (arggghh!). This blog may primarily be about family friendly food, but be under no illusions, I do not have perfect eaters in this house and neither am I the perfect Mum. I have to use all the strategies under the sun to "sell" the food I prepare, but then I try not to hover or force them to eat it. There is a general rule, eat it or go hungry until the next meal (unless they are sick).

Anyway, hence the pink sauce. Having 2 young girls in the house, we are living the pink years. So I work it to my advantage, whenever possible. The sauce is actually salmon colored, thanks to smoked paprika, but my pitch seemed to excite the girls into taking at least their first bite. Then they realised their dinner was tasty.

If you read my previous Pork Post, you'll know it all started with a roasted stuffed pork loin. I didn't get my act together in time that night, to present that to my kids, as dinner. That night they had wholewheat gnocchi, pesto and corn. Point proven; not the perfect Mum.

I've taken some artistic licence with the tacos; the consistency is not what you'd expect but I wanted to disguise the vegetables. My youngest is going through a picky vegetable phase so the squash was my choice. Corn, tomatoes, peppers (roasted or not), even peas would work nicely/ nicer here.

Anyway, here are my 2 leftovers options:



Pork Tacos with Pink Sauce

Serves 4

Ingredients for the Pink Sauce

approx 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
approx 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (approx 1 lime)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Ingredients for the Tacos

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, diced finely (or some chilli powder, flakes or hot sauce, to taste)
2 cloves of garlic, diced finely or minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 lb leftover meat (diced finely)
1 package frozen winter squash, defrosted (substitute roasted peppers, cherry tomatoes or corn)
1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken if you have it)
1 can black beans (rinsed thoroughly to remove some sodium)
8-10 small 6" tortillas (I always prefer wholewheat to corn)


Directions

  1. Whisk together the pink sauce ingredients and set aside
  2. Heat the oil in a deep sided pot on medium high.
  3. Add the onion and fry for 3-5 minutes until softened
  4. Add the jalapeno, garlic and spices and cook for a further 3 minutes until fragrant
  5. Add the meat and cook a further 2-3 minutes then add then add the squash and broth. 
  6. Add the beans, stir gently to combine and add more broth if it needs it, to gain the consistency you like for your filling  
  7. Heat the tortillas in the microwave, wrapped in a paper towel, on high for 2 minutes
  8. Serve with the pink sauce and either guacamole or simply avaocado on the side
Enjoy!




Healthy Fried Rice

(sorry no photo!)

Serves 4

Sauce Ingredients

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons mustard (I used a garlic mustard)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon garlic (I omitted, as garlic mustard used)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
3 tablespoons water

Ingredients

1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic chopped finely or minced
4-5 cups chopped raw veg of your choice (I used carrots and corn; it was all I had left!)
2 cups cooked grains (I used brown rice but Lorna suggests barley or quinoa)
1-2 cups cooked meat (or scrambled egg)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger


Directions

  1. Mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside (this will be too much but will keep for a month in the refrigerator)
  2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok or a large pot and add the onion and garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes until softened then add 1/4 cup water and the remaining veg.
  3. Cover the pot and steam the veg for approx 3-5 minutes depending on the vegetables you are using.
  4. Add the rice, meat and ginger. Stir to combine and heat through
  5. Add enough of the sauce to coat everything.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment