Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Healthier Take on Cornbread...and rambling on Thanksgiving



Cornbread muffins

I didn't grow up eating cornbread; soda and wheaten bread were my staples but when in Rome and all that. My first impression of cornbread was that it was distinctly dry and honestly a bit tasteless. However, I have come to enjoy it with some changes. I particularly think it makes a delicious stuffing.

A few years ago I tried a great version by Giada Di Laurentis.  She added cheese, garlic, fresh corn kernels and sundried tomatoes to a basic boxed cornbread mix. It was delicious, especially with chili and much more moist than my previous experience; I was a cornbread convert.

This Thanksgiving I need cornbread for 2 purposes; one for the stuffing and I also am on cornbread muffin duty for my daughters school Thanksgiving Feast. So, inspired by Giada's idea, I added fresh corn to a basic but healthier cornbread recipe and hey presto; I thought the sundried tomatoes might not go over so well with the 3 year old crowd.



The basic cornbread recipe is from Eating Well Magazine; which substitutes the usual high butter content with more buttermilk and just a little canola oil. In fact, I used light olive oil as I was all out of Canola. No harm done!



A Healthier Cornbread
based on an Eating Well Recipe



Ingredients

1 1/4 cups yellow stone ground cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons canola or light olive oil
1 cup of thawed, frozen corn (or fresh)

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F
  2. Grease or butter a 8 " square pan, a 12 count muffin pan or 24 mini muffins (as in the picture)
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
  4. In a large bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until just combined 
  6. Finally add the corn and stir gently until just mixed through.
  7. Pour into the pan or into muffin cups.
  8. Bake for approx 25 minutes (square pan), less for the muffins; approx 15 mins for the mini muffins and 18 for the regular muffins. They will be done when a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. Cool the cornbread in the pan. For the muffins, remove them from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
  10. Like all muffins and quick breads, these will freeze nicely. I recommend triple wrapping in cling film before doing so.
A note on the recipe:
You can easily double this recipe and bake in a 9x13" pan. 

I plan on using my cornbread for the following stuffing recipe

I am churning the pumpkin ice cream as I write, thanks to David Lebovitz.

Brownie Pie was made and frozen last night thanks to Rachel Ray; sorry can't find a link to it but it's in the November magazine.

Finally, I plan to brine my turkey tomorrow night using the following recipe. I'm changing it up this year as I usually use this recipe, which is a total winner, if you're looking for inspiration.

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours! Time for me to be thankful for great food, family, friends and health!

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. This was really really good. I made it with chilli for Super Bowl the kids scoffed it as did we. I've actually only made from a box before, another thing that now I see how easy this is I'm embarrassed I used the box stuff ��

    ReplyDelete