|Pea and Broccoli Soup|
My husband's parents recently visited us from Scotland. Actually they were at the end of an enviable round the world trip so were full of great stories. My Mother in law makes a great soup, so I immediately put her on soup duty while staying with us. She did not disappoint.
After they left and inspired by her, I resolved to make soups more often. My little one who is extremely veggie averse, will often eat a soup. It needs to be pureed into an orangy red color though... This one unfortunately doesn't meet her requirements but is nevertheless a delicious soup. It's creamy and smooth, hearty and healthy. I loved it, my older daughter enjoyed it and my husband could not get enough.
In was in "use it up" mode when I made this soup; I had a small amount of split peas needing finished, broccoli reaching the end of it's life and half a carton of veg broth needing used up. Here it what happened:
Pea and Broccoli Soup
1 medium onion chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped finely
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pinches dried thyme (or fresh if you have it)
3/4 cup split peas
3 small heads of broccoli chopped into small florets and stems chopped
1 1/2 quart/ approx 1 1/2 litres broth/stock ( I used half chicken half veg broth)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat
- Add the onions and garlic and reduce to medium/low for approx 15 mins
- Cook the onions until softened and translucent not caramelized
- Stir in the thyme and cook a further couple of minutes
- Add the broth and split peas and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer and cover for approx 15 minutes
- Add the broccoli and simmer a further 10 minutes or until everything is soft
- Adjust seasoning as needed the puree the soup
This soup has a creamy almost cheesy note to it, but if it's not hitting the spot, crumble either feta or goats cheese on top.