Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kat's "in 5 minutes flat" meals...

Leftover Fritatta


It's been a rough week here, hence the radio silence from kat ate that. I'm knee deep in a stroppy toddler and an intense preschooler. Both have been challenging their Mummy beyond my capacities this week, not helped by my husband being out of town and some other perfect storm circumstances.

Nevertheless, we still haven't eaten junk food or prepackaged dinners or even eaten out. So, I thought, therein lies my blog topic. I've been pondering for some time, how to write about the meals that I pull together in a snap. Lets face it, there are some days when we just don't have the time or inclination to plan and prepare earlier in the day. So I thought it might be interesting to start a series of my "in 5 minutes flat" meals. This is not rocket science, but we all run out of ideas sometimes so I thought putting some of this down might help both me and any readers in a similar position.

My typical week of meals involves, maybe, 3 complete "from scratch" meals, and the rest of the week I will use some of the leftovers as a base for a different meal, make one of my "in 5 minutes flat" meals or defrost a tasty something I've made a few weeks before.

I tend to cook as though I'm feeding a family of 8; when I roast up vegetables I will fill my (tiny) oven to the brim and use the leftover vegetables the following lunch or evening for something. Same for any meat, then I'll chop up the leftovers in any number of ways the following night. I generally cook extra rice or other grains when I make them and use them the next day in some way.

So today I'm offering a couple of my most trusty "go to" meals; Tortilla Pizza and Leftovers Fritatta. The "pizza" below was served with edamame before as I had no suitable vegetables at the ready. My fritatta was composed of leftover potato, broccoli and a few last crumbles of low fat feta. Anything goes!

I'm somewhat embarrassed to write these up as a recipe, but here goes. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and ideas. I'm all ears!


Tortilla Pizza


Tortilla Pizza is always well received by the munchkins

Ingredients

Wholewheat tortillas (or flatbread, naan bread or pitta bread)
Pizza sauce (I frequently use pesto, but have been known to use bruschetta topping, tapenade, or whatever I have left in the fridge needing used)
Cheese (I have used fresh mozzarella, goats cheese, feta, cheddar, whatever I have)
leftover veg (roasted broccoli, corn, zucchini)

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F
  2. Assemble the "pizzas" on a baking sheet
  3. Cook for approx 8-10 minutes until crispy on the bottom.
If I have no suitable leftover vegetables I will serve either carrot sticks or edamame as an appetizer.
All good.


Leftovers Fritatta


Serves 4

Ingredients

4-5 eggs
1/4 cup of low fat or non fat greek yogurt or low fat sour cream
salt and pepper
2 cups leftovers (vegetables, potatoes, cooked meat)
1/4 cup feta cheese or cheese of your choice
chopped herbs of your choice

Directions
  1. Beat the eggs and yogurt until combined well and season
  2. Stir in the other ingredients
  3. Preheat a small ovenproof skillet on medium and add a little oil
  4. Pour in the egg mixture and move around in the pan for a few minutes until the fritatta starts to set
  5. When the fritatta is well cooked on the bottom transfer the skillet to the broiler and broil until the top of the fritatta is fully cooked also.
  6. Serve with a salad or any other leftover vegetables
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment