Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Scallions or leeks?

Marinated Flank Steak and Grilled Scallions

Scallions or leeks? I'm embarrassed to say but honestly I had to ask the farmer at the market; the scallions, I was informed, were so huge. So I bought some. I was sure Nigel Slater; my current obsession, would have some inspiration for what to with such a huge bunch of scallions (or green onions as you may call them). Alas, he doesn't have much to say on the topic so I took to the web. It turns out Emeril is the man tonight.

I had already decided that the flank steak in the fridge was the partner for these monsters so I took a lead from Emeril and marinated the steak all day in the aforementioned scallions plus garlic, lemons and parsley. Emeril suggested limes and cilantro but I didn't have any cilantro in my garden yet, so a tweak was called for. Then he suggested I grill the scallions whole, and I added a fresh picked salad from our garden.

A couple of weeks before we left for our trip home, we planted arugula (rocket), spinach beets, parsley and sugar snap peas in our tiny veg patch. Our garden is very shaded so there's really only one patch, right at the front of the house that is veg growing friendly. We have a lot of wildlife here; deer, groundhogs, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks. Most sensible vegetable gardeners would fence around their patch, but as the bed is right beside the front door, aesthetics have got the better of us and we have no fence.

So, every day I'm able to harvest something from it, I count myself lucky that the furry friends have left us something. We're doing pretty good on that front for now, but unfortunately during the time we were away, the rocket and spinach bolted. so we're just harvesting the last leaves from those plants as the only new growth we're getting now are flowers. We're very new to the veg growing game so any advice appreciated! Anyway, there was enough salad for the dinner and that fills me with ridiculous but simple pleasure!

The meal was delicious, and checked off my favorite box in terms of making dinner; I was able to make most of it ahead of time. Also, in all fairness to my husband, most of our grilling is done by him. So over the summertime, I cannot take full credit for the tastiness of the food served in this house (although I will claim most of credit as I'm the brains behind the operation and the kitchen grafter!)

A side note, the girls and I had the leftovers tonight, re-purposed in a fajita fashion with peppers and zuchinni and served with crusty bread. I offered them greek yogurt and peach salsa alongside and they gobbled!


Marinated flank Steak and Grilled Scallions




Ingredients

1 1/2 lb flank steak
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
zest from 2 lemons
1/4 cup lemon juice (from approx 2 lemons)
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup scallions, chopped

one bunch scallions

Directions
  1. Place steak and all the other ingredients, except the bunch of scallions, in a ziplock bag. Seal and squish until steak is thoroughly coated.
  2. Put the bag in the fridge all day.
  3. 20 minutes before cooking, take out the meat to bring it up to room temp.
  4. Preheat the grill to medium high
  5. Take the steak out of the bag and toss the marinade
  6. Place the steak on the grill for about 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
  7. Take it off when cooked to your preference, cover it with foil to rest.
  8. Toss the scallions in a little olive oil (I cupped my hand and poured in 1 tablespoon, then smeared it all over the scallions)
  9. Place the scallion bunches directly on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes or until slightly charred and softened.
  10. Slice the steak thinly and serve on a bed of scallions with a salad
Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment