Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Summer Appetizer

Zucchini and Ricotta Dip

 
We visited our "parallel life" friends on fathers day; they are also a Scottish/Northern Irish couple, living in the US. In fact, they are our surrogate American family; we often spend holidays together where most other US extended families are together. Our similar backgrounds are very comforting at times and Jayne and I both love our food. I've had many a good recipe and tip from her.

Anyway, they were hosting us for lunch, so I offered cookies and a dip. Quite honestly my cookies were not my best effort, but uncharacteristically I think I did a better job of the savory part of the offering.

We're in zucchini/ courgette season here. I know a lot of people get fed up of the bounty of zucchini over the summer but I never tire of them. In their simplest form they bring me right back to my summer holidays as a child on the campsites of France. They must have been cheaper and more available in France, as that's my first memory of them; cooked in butter on the portable camping stove.

So I decided zucchinis were to be featured in the dip along with the ricotta I seemed to have bought in a job lot last week. A quick search for inspiration and Martha Stewart came up with an idea. I added garlic and lemon a simple, creamy but refreshing dip resulted.

Add this one to your summer repertoire.


Zucchini and Ricotta Dip

Ingredients

2 medium zucchini
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely or minced
2 teaspoons of chopped thyme (I used lemon thyme)
3 lemons, zested
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions
  1. Grate the zucchini using a box grater or food processor
  2. Heat the oil on medium high in a large pan and fry the zucchini and garlic
  3. Add the thyme after a few minutes and cook until the zucchini is soft and just beginning to brown in parts
  4. Take off the heat and cool
  5. When cool, add the ricotta, lemon zest and juice and season.
Serve with pita chips or any other substantial chip. It's delicious with a Margarita too...

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It was a very yummy dip indeed - as were the cookies btw!!

    ReplyDelete