Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

The triple whammy dinner...



 

By that I mean, it's super tasty, healthy and kid friendly!

It's been 5 weeks of visiting our families in Scotland and Ireland and then adjusting back to home life again. Since returning home, the distraction of a 2 year old struggling with jet lag (and simply being 2!!), a Mummy fighting a throat infection and an unfinished construction project in our bathroom made me wonder if my blogging mojo was gone forever. Now all three obstacles are removed my mind cleared and I was inspired. Don't get me wrong, I've made some tasty dinners since we got back but nothing I felt moved enough to share...until tonight that is.

I've visited 2 farmers markets since I got home. To be honest, I couldn't wait to get there. We had a great trip with our families but it was certainly nice to know we were returning to warmer weather, flowers in our garden, bountiful farmers markets and al fresco eating.

Our local farmers Market is on a Saturday but as that was when I was fighting the throat lurgy, I was forced further afield. No hardship, I headed to Nyack on Thursday and Warwick on Sunday. I had never been to the Warwick one before and what a treat! I could have dropped a serious amount of money as there were so many enticing stalls of produce and artisan products. My favorites were the rustic parmesan pepper bread and and keilbasa sausage. http://www.warwickinfo.net/farmersmarket/index.html
My girls vote was resoundingly won by a brownie they shared from Jean Claudes Artisan Bakery.

But I found myself thrown by the choice of produce; for the past 4 years we have been members of a farm co-op. I haven't had to decide which seasonal produce to select, it has been done for me. All I needed to do was decide what to do with the veg. I thought it would be nice to make my own choices so I opted out this year in favor of farmers markets, but the reality threw me. Probably not helped by having my small munchkins in tow, distracting me somewhat.

Anyway, that said, I looked at my meat choice in the freezer today and the ground turkey spoke to me. That, and the mini pita bread, reminded me of my "go to" turkey burger recipe. The recipe originates from Martha Stewart Everyday Food but is endlessly tweakable. It results in a burger that is tasty and moist; a tricky twosome with a turkey burger.

I call this a hit, as my 4 year old ate 2 mini burgers and asked for more and my 2 year old ate almost every bite of hers also.


Healthy Mini Turkey Burgers in Mini Pita Breads

laced with ketchup and mustard as requested by my 4 year old

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1 small bunch of chives finely chopped
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 garlic clove minced
salt and pepper

Directions
  1. preheat grill on high
  2. In a medium bowl mix all the ingredients with your clean hands.
  3. form into mini pita sized patties
  4. oil the grill
  5. place the patties on the grill and turn down to medium
  6. cook for approx 4-5  minutes each side or until cooked thoroughly.
  7. Warm the pita breads briefly on the grill
  8. Slit open the pitas and serve "like clams" with some grilled vegetables or a salad
Freezable note:
I often make a double batch, form the patties, freeze on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper then place in a freezer bag when frozen.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment